JOIN THE THACKRAY FAMILY
HEAVY DUTY DIESEL EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
Position Start Date: Immediately
Position Summary: The primary purpose of this position is to perform repair and maintenance on heavy duty diesel equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide emergency, unscheduled repairs of equipment at the shop in or the field.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and make repairs in the field on a 24-hour basis as needed.
- Effectively handle lifting of various objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Work extended hours outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Rebuild and/or repair vehicles and equipment.
- Perform inspections and preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment to insure compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Read and interpret vehicle and equipment manuals and work orders.
- Follow written and verbal instructions, including manufacturers’ service specifications.
- Maintain shop in clean, organized and safe manner.
- Be familiar with current health, safety and OSHA regulations.
- Participate in departmental meetings.
- Assist with orientation and training of new and existing staff members.
- Assist other staff members when necessary.
- Provide other duties as may be assigned to meet business needs
Qualifications / Requirements
- High school diploma and/or equivalent technical training.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of experience and/or training in vehicle and heavy duty diesel equipment construction, repair and maintenance is required.
- Must be a licensed driver with the ability to drive and operate a variety of vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Must possess technical knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and techniques used in vehicle and heavy equipment repair and maintenance.
- Must possess working knowledge of paint and body work, electrical systems, including computerized ignition systems.
- Must possess proven ability to use power and hand tools, diagnostic equipment, and welding equipment.
- Ability to work varying shifts to include weekends and holidays.
- Must possess the ability to effectively communicate (both written and oral.)